Help & F.A.Q.
You see this line when you solve a snapshot in the category New Submissions. You didn't score a point (yet) because you can't score on snapshots which are in this category. If the snapshot is transfered to Feature Films, you'll automatically get your deserved point. Read more here.
CM stands for Cable Monkey, the first rank in the WTM set hierarchy. Read more here.
WTM supporters show their dedication to the site by donating € 1,- per month. They:
- Have a black Avatar tag
- Can have 3 snapshots in the New Submissions.
- Gain a unique shiny Memorabilia
- Have Awesome Uploads (1 free upload per subscribed month, e.g. 6 or 12 according to 6 or 12 months of being a supporter). You get the uploads all at once after becoming a supporter. You however can't get more than 12 Awesome Uploads, to keep the game in balance and not letting supporters gain advantage over the others.
- See recent visitors on their profile
- Show a Gallery of your Best Shots
- And a lot more to come ...
You can become a supporter for either 6 months, a full year or any additional number of months. Show your love for the site and help us to keep it running:Read about all the advantages
Certain actions on the site will award you WTM bucks. You can earn a maximum of 300 WTM bucks per day. Read more here.
Every Feature Film movie gets a 30 days time counter. During these 30 days you'll get a point for solving this movie. After the "solve time" (e.g. the 30 days) are over, you get no more "hall of fame points" (short: hofp) for this movie. Your personal solvecounter (at your profile page) still raises when solving, your highscore counter doesn't. You can request the solution for those movies by pressing the Show Solution button.
As we want this HoF to actually mean something, any cheating or unfair help is prohibited. Sharing hints and solutions or using scripts and/or automated search engines (such as TinEye or Google Images) is strictly prohibited.
There are many possibilies to capture a still of your favourite movie.
An easy method is to:
- Use the VLC Media Player (download here: videolan.org)
- Equip you DVD player with your recently bought DVD of the original movie
- Play the DVD with VLC Media Player and go to VIDEO > TAKE SCREENSHOT
- The still will be saved at a predefined location (can be changed in the options)
If you are trying to post a snapshot from a recently released movie, that has no snapshot in the Archive yet, you are expected to prove that it's officially out on DVD. To do this, leave a spoilered shout below the shot you've just uploaded, containing a link to a (web)store where it can currently be purchased. If you won't, we will assume your shot does not come from an official release and it will be deleted.
- If your shot was a duplicate of a snapshot which is still in the Feature Films: Yes, obviously not your fault since it didn’t appear on the upload page.
- If your shot was a duplicate of a snapshot which is in the Archive: No, the shot appeared on the upload page where you should check for duplicates.
- If your shot was deleted for bad quality or black bars: No, you shouldn't have posted a bad quality shot in the first place and you should have cut the black bars.
The essential new feature: WTM users unlock new movie snapshots themselves. The queuing process is no longer maintained by a group of moderators.
All movie snapshots are now divided in 3 main categories:
- Feature Films lists all snapshots from the last 30 days. Solving snapshots in this category gives you points for the Hall of Fame.
- The Archive includes all snapshots which are older than 30 days and shows a thumbnail overview of all shots (Similar to the old Overview, but sorted by date).
- New Submissions contains all freshly uploaded movie snapshots. You are able to access this category with 50 Feature Film solves or more. Based on their rating, the best snapshots are transferred to the Feature Films. Every snapshot stays for at least 2 days in New Submissions until it is either transferred or deleted. Solving snapshots in this category won't give you any points for the hall of fame. If you solve a snapshot, which is later transferred, you will get the point (you don't have to solve it again). Voting on snapshots in New Submissions gives you 5 WTM bucks. Every day there is a fixed amount of movie snapshots which are transferred from New Submissions to Feature Films based on their rating.
The upload page has undergone a complete redesign. When adding a new movie snapshot, the uploader is able to check for duplicates which have already been posted. The solutions to snapshots are no longer saved with the snapshot itself, but with the movie. If your intended movie is already posted on WTM, all you have to do is specify the snapshot on your harddisc. Title, alternative titles and IMDB link are added from our database. All your uploaded snapshots will immediatly be posted in the category New Submissions
You are not able to post more than 2 snapshots of the same movie and have more than 2 (3 if you are a Supporter) snapshots simultaneously in the category New Submissions. The reason why we put a limit when uploading a new snapshot is simple: It's quality. We believe that it's best to take a new snapshot, right after watching a movie. All the impressions of the movie are fresh in you mind. Version 1 of WTM has shown us, that the quality of snapshots significantly decreases, when people upload many snapshots in a row.
Every user is able to fill out his/her personal profile page, supply personal information, a short bio ... the usual stuff. By default, everyone is randomly given one out of ten predefined autograph pictures. If you are not happy with Clark Gable and his friends, feel free to upload your own image.
WTM 2 introduces its own currency: The WTM buck. It indicates your activity on the site. The following actions give you WTM bucks:
- + 2 WTM bucks for adding an alternative title to a movie.
- + 5 WTM bucks for rating movies in the category New Submissions.
- + 200 WTM bucks for writing a movie review.
- + 10 WTM bucks for each thumbs up on your shouts and/or movie reviews.
- - 10 WTM bucks for each thumbs down on your shouts and/or moview reviews. You lose 2 WTM bucks for each down-vote to give them more credibility.
You are able to earn a maximum of 300 WTM bucks per day. This hard earned money affects your rank in the wtm set hierarchy:
- 0 WTM bucks: Cable Monkey (CM)
- 300 WTM bucks: Focus Puller (FP)
- 1500 WTM bucks: Clapper Loader (CL)
- 4000 WTM bucks: Best Boy (BB)
- 8000 WTM bucks: Boom Operator (BO)
- 13000 WTM bucks: Lighting Technician (LT)
- 20000 WTM bucks: Property Master (PM)
- 29000 WTM bucks: Set Decorator (SD)
- 40000 WTM bucks: Cinematographer (C)
- 53000 WTM bucks: Executive Producer (EP)
- 70000 WTM bucks: Producer (P)
- 90000 WTM bucks: Director (D)
- 120000 WTM bucks: Studio Boss (SB)
Advancing in the set hierarchy unlocks additional features:
- A Cable Monkey (which is basically everybody from the start) is able to write reviews, shout on movies/users/snapshots, vote on snapshots/movies and upload new snapshots.
- A Focus Puller is allowed to tag snapshots or movies and add addional alt-titles to movies.
- A Clapper Loader can start or participate in a snapshot vote-delete.
- A Boom Operator is able to delete tags (besides his own).
- A Property Master is able to delete alt-titles of movies and deletion votes of other users.
- A Set Decorator is able to change the name, year or IMDb url of movie or write abstracts
- A Cinematographer is able to re-upload bad quality archive snapshots (snapshots which are older than 30 days)
Certain actions on WTM award you these collectibles. For example every set rank has its own goblet. Visit the Memorabilia page to view them all. The shiny awards are designed by pixel maniac Martin Wörister.
Your loved snapshots are displayed in your profile gallery. Bookmarked snapshots are visible there as well by default. Make them private in your settings. If you advance to level 2 in the set hierarchy you will be able to tag snapshots.
Every movie has its own page in WTM 2. You are able to:
- Rate movies
- Write movie reviews
- Add movies to your favourites/bookmarks/watchlist
- Tag movies
- Add alternative titles to movies
The Awesome Button © gives you the possibility to narrow your random search results. Specify a tag, adjust the difficulty (which is based on the overall solves) or include shots from the archive. These options are only one click away thanks to the mighty Awesome Button ©.
Everybody with set rank 3 (Clapper Loader) or higher is qualified to start a Vote-Delete. If you think a snapshot violates the 5 Golden Rules of Uploading state a short reason and hope for more people to think your way. If a total of 5 people think the shot is inapropiate, it is deleted automatically.
Registered users are able to shout at movie snapshots, movies or other users. Shouting at Feature Film snapshots is allowed for people who have solved the still. Shouting at shots in the Archive is allowed for everybody.
- What is this site about?
- What does You did not score a point yet mean?
- What's with the abbreviation CM below my name?
- What's a WTM supporter and how can I join the club?
- How can I earn WTM bucks?
- How does the Hall of Fame work? What is the feature Show Solution?
- How to take movie snapshots?
- Recently released Movies
- Do I get my awesome upload back if my shot gets deleted?
- What's new in WTM 2